Out of all the ways to get records in a divorce case, the best way to get them is through a “Deposition Subpoena for Production of Business Records”. This particular subpoena found at this link: allows you to obtain a lot of things, but the most popular and useful thing usually produced by this method are bank statements.

Bank statements are absolute gold in family law cases. Bank statements directly from a third-party, such as a bank, are even better, since the other side has no opportunity to doctor them, omit records, or do any of the unsavory things that they do.

Unfortunately, you need to do it the right way. If you are not a lawyer, you can’t issue one and need permission from the court do do this. Go see the court clerk and ask. Even if you are a lawyer, you need to have a good reason. If they are the records of the other party, you need “good cause” which is usually easy to show. If they are someone else’s records, who is not a party, proceed with caution. You may need to depose them beforehand to establish good cause. The courts are guarded about privacy rights and will usually err on the side of keeping secrets.